For delivery year 2019, RTE is implementing a simplified participation process to explicitly take into account the contribution of interconnections to the French security of supply.
Accordingly, RTE will offer for sale the capacity guarantees obtained under the certification of interconnections in accordance with the set of rules approved by the French Energy Regulatory Commission.
The set of rules for valuation submitted by RTE last november last November was approved by CRE in deliberation No. 2019-082 of Thursday, 18 April 2019:
- RTE has evaluated the overall contribution of interconnections for the year 2019 at 6,319 MW,
- The capacities of the interconnections will be placed on the market by RTE and the entire volume of the capacity guarantees will be put on sale during the auction held by EPEX Spot on 16 May 2019,
- The sell order shall be executed without a reserve price (sale with no specified limit).
These terms for valuing cross-border capacity guarantees are specific to delivery year 2019. For subsequent delivery years, RTE will propose adapted terms for the NRA, maintaining maximum transparency for market participants.
This capacity mechanism was designed from the outset to take into account the contribution of interconnections to the security of the electricity supply. Since 1 January 2017, this has been taken into account implicitly, by deducting it from France's capacity needs. For further information about the incorporation of the contribution of cross-border interconnections, RTE offers:
- Capacity Mechanism Rules V3
- Report on the evolution of the set of rules for incorporating cross-border interconnections of the electricity transmission system into the French capacity mechanism.
April 25, 2019